Our cardiopulmonary exercise stress test (MVO2) measures how your heart, lungs and muscles react to exercise. Just run on a treadmill in the clinic and get answers for your symptoms, a treatment plan if needed and peace of mind.
What is a cardiopulmonary exercise stress test?
MVO2 testing may also be used to:
- Determine the best treatment plan for you
- Develop cardiac rehabilitation programmes
- Evaluate the improvement in functional capacity in response to specific treatment regimes
- Assess the pre-operative risk for anaesthesia
- Determine your overall fitness level
- Check your individual risk of developing heart disease (recommended if you have a strong family history of heart disease)
Who needs a cardiopulmonary exercise stress test?
You may be recommended the procedure if you’re experiencing unexplained symptoms of the following:
Alternatively if you’ve been diagnosed with any of the following conditions, the procedure may also be recommended:
- Heart failure
- Coronary artery disease
- Pulmonary hypertension
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Valvular heart disease
What happens during a Cardiopulmonary Exercise Test
The stress test is conducted in a closely supervised situation.
- You will be attached to the ECG recording monitor and fitted with a mask which will sample each breath you take.
- You will then sit on a bike or stand on a treadmill, which will begin to move very slowly.
- Progressively, as you become accustomed to the pace, the workload will be increased.
- All the time, the technicians will be monitoring your heart rate, blood pressure and looking carefully at the ECG for any changes.
- You will be asked to report any chest pain/tightness during the test.
- You will be encouraged to work as hard as possible towards the end of the test.
What happens after?
You will be allowed to recover whilst we monitor the ECG. Once your heart rate and blood pressure have returned to normal, the test is complete. Our specialist MVO2 consultant will provide a concise report based on his interpretations of these parameters as a whole.
Are there any risks?
The risk of complications is very low. We adhere to all UK guidelines to ensure that all patients are safe for testing and we regularly assess patients who have pre-existing orthopaedic problems.
Possible complications include:
- Cardiovascular events
- Respiratory complications
- Fatigue or discomfort
- Allergic reactions
Ready to book your test?
Get seen quickly
As we’re a private clinic, your appointments work around you. You’ll soon have the answers you need so you can get the answers you need, start a proper treatment plan and get the quality of your life back.
A private Cardiopulmonary Exercise Stress Test is covered by most private medical insurance policies, but please contact your insurance company prior to your appointment to obtain your pre-authorisation code to speed things up.
Our price list is available on request and is on display in our waiting area. For an estimation of costs please get in touch.
Why choose London Cardiovascular Clinic?
- We offer a patient-centred approach, so you’ll feel looked after and have all your questions answered
- Choose from our flexible appointment times and get seen at your convenience
- Personalised treatment plans
- Get consultancy & treatment from London’s top cardiologists – each with their own special interests
- You’ll experience a much more welcoming and relaxing experience at our private clinic than you would elsewhere
- Video resources to help you further understand your condition and the procedures involved