Check your heart health with a private Exercise Tolerance Test (ETT). Using treadmills or exercise bikes, we’ll measure how your heart responds to exercise. If coronary heart disease is diagnosed, our cardiologists will create a personalised treatment plan so you can get the quality of your life back.
What is an exercise tolerance test?
An exercise tolerance test (also known as a stress test) assesses your heart’s ability to perform physical activity. By measuring how your heart responds to this increased demand for oxygen, our cardiologists can diagnose heart problems, evaluate the effectiveness of treatments, and assess your risk of heart problems. The test is usually performed on a treadmill or exercise bike and monitored using an electrocardiogram (ECG).
Who needs an ETT?
If you’ve got symptoms of or have been diagnosed with the following, you may need an ETT:
This gives your cardiologist useful information to help make an accurate diagnosis. ETTs can also be used to determine how effective your treatment plan is.
What happens during the test?
The stress test is very straightforward, and is conducted in a closely supervised situation.
- You will be attached to the ECG recording monitor (just as you were for the resting ECG).
- You will then sit on a bike or stand on a treadmill, which will begin to move very slowly.
- The workload will progressively increase.
- The technicians will monitor your heart rate and blood pressure – paying close attention to any changes.
- You will be asked to report any chest pain/tightness during the test.
Are there any risks?
There is a very small risk from the procedure, and we have full resuscitation facilities available to put your mind at ease.
What happens after an ETT?
Once you’ve stopped exercising – and your heart rate and blood pressure have returned to normal – the test is complete. You’ll be allowed to recover whilst we review and analyse your exercise results. If the results indicate coronary heart disease, our cardiologist will create a personalised treatment plan for you to help you cure your condition or manage symptoms – depending on the diagnosis.
If your cardiologists still require more detailed information to make a diagnosis, you may need a Dobutamine Stress Echocardiogram (DSE) Test.
Ready to book your ETT?
Get seen quickly
As we’re a private clinic, we can offer you flexible appointments. Book your exercise tolerance test at a time that works best for you and get the quality of your life back.
Private ETTs are covered by most private medical insurance policies, but please contact your insurance company prior to your appointment to obtain your pre-authorisation code to help speed things up.
Our price list is available on request and is on display in our waiting area. For an estimation of costs please get in touch.
Why choose London Cardiovascular Clinic?
- We offer a patient-centred approach, so you’ll feel looked after and have all your questions answered
- Choose from our flexible appointment times and get seen at your convenience
- Personalised treatment plans
- Get consultancy & treatment from London’s top cardiologists – each with their own special interests
- You’ll experience a much more welcoming and relaxing experience at our private clinic than you would elsewhere
- Video resources to help you further understand your condition and the procedures involved